Winning big at SEMA
It wasn’t just PPG’s legendary stand at the 2016 SEMA Show which took colour to new heights, PPG-painted vehicles also captured a string of major awards at the event. According to John Parran, PPG Marketing Director, the wins reinforced PPG’s position as the custom car world’s winning choice. “This has been another great year for PPG at SEMA. We provide great products and our customers – these talented builders and painters – do the rest by letting their imaginations go wild. They’re creative, they understand colour and they’re inspired to outdo the competition. That’s how they win awards.”
SEMA’s top prize, the ‘2016 Battle of the Builders’ award, went to Cam Miller for a 1969 Camaro dubbed ‘Under Pressure’ which features a gleaming finish created using PPG coatings, including VIBRANCE COLLECTION® custom paint finishes and ENVIROBASE® High Performance waterborne basecoat. Miller was over the moon with the result. “Winning the Battle of the Builders is obviously a huge honour. I am humbled, relieved and excited that all our hard work has paid off. And I’m grateful for all the wonderful technical support and guidance we received from PPG.”
Other high profile PPG painted SEMA winners included:
- ‘Olds Cool’ – a 1939 Oldsmobile painted by Charley Hutton which took out the Mothers Shine Award
- ‘Onyx’ – a 1967 Chevelle built by Jeremy and Phil Gerber and the crew at the Roadster Shop, in Illinois, which received the ‘GM Design Award for Classic Car of the Year’ and finished in the top 10 in the Battle of the Builders.
- ‘Inferno’ – a 1969 Camaro presented by the Roadster Shop won the Goodguys Rod & Custom Association Gold Award.
- ‘Enigma’ – a 1971 Camaro built by Randy Borcherding and his crew at Painthouse, Houston. Its intense custom colour, named ‘Superduper Blue’, helped it win the GM Design Award for Best Crate Engine Build.
- 1968 Chevy Truck – built by Mark Giambalvo of Creative Rod & Kustom, Pennsylvania, it won the coveted GM Design Award for Best Truck.
- 2016 Fiesta ST – painted by John Ramsey from John’s Auto Restoration, New York, won the Ford Outstanding Achievement in Design and Mothers Choice Excellence in Automotive Design awards.